Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Welcome to the dark side -- here are your cookies...

...Aw man... why are they oatmeal raisin!? Gross!

So, I haven't written a ton in the last few months, because I've been a little overwhelmed.  Most of it was just normal, end-of-the-school-year busyness (business?) of trying to finish off four different classes and grade 140 exams.

But another overwhelming thing has been switching over to using a mac.  

You see, over spring break, my household computer died -- the hard drive completely crashed. Besides losing all my data, papers from classes, pictures and videos of our kids first two years of life, etc, it also meant I didn't have a way to work from home anymore. At the time, I was spending at least 10 hours a week doing something from home (mostly in the 4:30-6:00am time frame...).  Accomplishing this all at school would have been a difficult move.

Not sure if I agree -- it was just a cool picture
Fortunately, I was given a laptop to work with. The only thing was -- it was MacBook Pro. Our school is in the initial stages of a move toward 1:1 access (every student has their own computer) and the teacher's laptops had just come in. We were given our laptops with a simple suggestion: play with them.  Get familiar with them.  

I had no choice really, but to dive in pretty quickly. Fixing or replacing my windows machine was not in our financial budget, nor did my personal time budget have room to try to make repairs. So, I began doing everything I used to do on a brand new machine.

After 10 weeks, I can finally say that I like this new machine. I still find myself behaving at times as though I'm on a PC (I keep pressing "Alt F-S" to save something and otherwise trying to access the menubar) but I am getting used to many of the changes. I won't say that I like this machine better then a PC yet -- but at least I've stopped cursing under my breath as I use it. If I end up ever liking it better, it will probably be because of QuickSilver -- but that's another post for another day. 

More posts will follow, I promise -- but it's still slow going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...