Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Theology and Leadership

After reading A Theological Primer on Leadership by Mark Lamport, I thought I would write down a few of the main ideas of leadership described, if only to help me organize my thoughts about the ideas.

Throughout the Bible, God searches for leaders with the following criteria:

Lamport asks and suggests answers to four primary questions:

  1. How shall we describe leadership: Any person who influences people to accomplish a purpose. I am a worship leader at church -- attempting to influence others to worship -- specifically through singing. I am a leader in the classroom, attempting to influence my students think in a particular way. I am not actively trying to be a leader among my colleagues.
  2. Who qualifies as a leader? An person who influences people to accomplish a purpose.  
  3. How are godly leaders developed?  Potential leaders are developed over a lifetime of seeking God's will throughout many positive and negative life experiences which shape and mold you.
  4. What are some of the qualities of an effective leader?  
    • Vision - seeing how things could be
    • Diligence - Doing the necessary work
    • Determination - persevering in spite of unfavorable circumstances
    • Sacrifice - giving oneself in selfless and loving service to others
    • Reliance - Consistently depending on God for strength 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...